27 Apr 2022
Tuggy becomes a Life Member
The season was capped off in fine style after the great Tim Rule was made a Life Member at Presentation Evening. The family did a great job at keeping it secret and getting him to the evening, and it was fantastic to see the whole Rule clan there to support Tim.
Tim started playing Seniors for South Warrandyte over 30 years ago. Famous for his clean hitting and his “frog in a blender” bowling action, he won the Club Champion Award in 1998/99 and was made Captain/Coach of the club. Following this stint, he moved to the North Ringwood Bulls for almost a decade, where he became a premiership player and became a Life Member.
Thankfully, Tuggy returned to the South Warrandyte, initially to play vets 13 years ago. “It’s always felt like home” said Tug during his acceptance speech. During this stint, Tim has played at every level from 1st to 5ths. He captained a young 2nd XI side in 2015 and helped develop many current club stalwarts including James Fasan, Darcy Price, Sean McMahon, Darcy Harris, and Liam James. He has also helped out captaining the 3rd XI and 4th XI at various stages.
Tug is one of the key figures in our successful veterans’ programs, South is one of the only clubs to consistently have 2 teams over the past decade. In that time Tug has been a captain from 2011-2013 and again from 2017 until now. He has captained the side to 2 (1.5) premierships, with a stirring victory at Warranwood this year. Tug has also served as the Vets coordinator and made the Vets rep team.
- Veterans – approximately 2011/12 to present (at least 10 seasons).
- RDCA Veterans Inter-Comp representative 2016/17 (2 matches) and 2017/18 (1 match).
- He is currently playing Veterans cricket while filling in occasionally in Seniors.
- Veterans team captain 2011/12, 2012/13, 2017/18 to present.
- Veterans Co-ordinator 2014/15.
- Over 40-1 Premiership Captain 2020/21 and 2021/22.
- Coach - U12 2016/17 and 2017/18 (Friday night).
- Assistant Coach - U14 2017/18, U12 2018/19.
General Committee member 2019/20 to present.
Tim volunteered as Covid Safety Officer from 2020/21 to present (2 seasons) – an onerous and thankless responsibility during the current Pandemic.
Community Fund - Trustee (2 seasons) before taking over as Chair from Paul Foley from 2019/20 season (almost 3 seasons so far).